– 40 g oat grains
– 85 g long aromatic rice
– 2 bay leaves
– cardamom as required (less than ½ tsp.) freshly ground
– 1 small cinnamon stick broken in two
– a tiny pinch of cloves as required (less than 1/16 tsp.) ground
– 1-2 tbsps. coconut oil or ghee
– 70 g almonds chopped and toasted
– dark brown sugar to taste
Fill a small, heavy, lidded saucepan with 2-¼ cups of water and simmer the bay leaves along with the spices for ab. 5 minutes. Then, add in the oat grains, rice, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or ghee and salt. Bring to a boil, then, immediately, turn the heat down, cover the pan tightly and let it cook over low flame.
After 30 minutes, turn the heat off but do not remove the lid for at least another 15 minutes. When ready to serve, remove the bay leaves and cinnamon sticks. Stir half of the almonds into the porridge and mix well. Add some more cardamom to taste, a tiny bit at a time. Warm the remaining oil or ghee and toss the remaining almonds.
Top the porridge by the sautéed almonds. Serve it along with brown sugar on the side so that each person can add it to taste.